Crispy tater tot crust, dill pickle and melted cheese make up the crux of these Tater Tot Oven Fried Pickle Chips, are a snack made in heaven for the true pickle lover!
Delicious, easy to make and ready in about 20 minutes!
An accident. A happy accident, really. A recipe created by the need to use up ingredients we had used for other recipes. I will warn you though, they are addicting! And you should definitely whip up some sauce or dip for these little gems. So so good, and quite filling!
If you want to make a great dip to go with these, our Homemade Ranch Dressing on our sister site is perfection.
Why You’ll Love Tater Tot Oven Fried Pickle Chips
Make Ahead/Leftovers/Freezer Instructions
Make Ahead: We don’t recommend making them up ahead of time unless you plan to freeze them. They can get soggy if not eaten quickly or frozen.
Leftovers: If you wind up with leftovers, store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. They reheat well in the air fryer (400 degrees for about 2 minutes after being refrigerated).
Freeze: While you can freeze them, make sure they are completely cooled before placing in a zip top freezer bag. To reheat for maximum crispiness, either use the air fryer (400 degrees for about 4-5 minutes, keep a careful watch). Or the oven or a convection oven. Even the toaster oven is a good reheating method.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Tater Tots: We recommend tater tots for these because they are the easiest. However, you can also use hashbrowns. They might need a little longer to crisp up to the level the tater tots do.
Shredded Cheese: We used cheddar because it goes so well with the pickles, but honestly you can use any cheese you want.
Pickle Chips: We prefer dill pickle slices with these, but I suppose if you have bread and butter slices you could use those as well. Please note, they will be much sweeter.
Bacon: We use real crumbled bacon bits but obviously you can cook up your own bacon and crumble it or use small chunks or pieces for these.
Add On Ideas
We love these as is, with a delicious spicy ranch or regular ranch dip. But if you wanted to add ingredients to these, here are a few suggestions:
- jalapeno slices
- sliced black olives
- chopped green onions
- chopped and roasted bell peppers
- prosciutto instead of bacon
- multiple types of cheeses
- much more…. what would you add?
Dip & Sauce Ideas
More Delicious Snack Recipes
Tater Tot Oven Fried Pickle Chips
- 1 mini muffin pan
- 24 tater tots thawed
- 24 pickle chips
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare mini muffin pan with cooking spray or use silicone inserts. Pat pickles dry to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Press one tater tot down into each mini muffin cup, smashing it to fill the bottom of the cavity. Use a paper towel to remove any excess moisture from the tater tots.
- Top the smashed tater tots with a pinch or two of shredded cheese each.
- Sprinkle a pinch or two of real bacon bits on top of cheese.
- Add a pickle chip to each. Top with more shredded cheese to secure in place.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes while they settle. Gently remove them from the pan and enjoy! Definitely dip them!