A subtle, spicy curry chicken slow cooked in the crock pot all day, turned creamy. This Crock-Pot Curry Chicken is such an easy dinner and oh so good!
Why We Love This Crockpot Curry Chicken
- Love a fix it and forget it meal, so you can come home to a nice, hot meal ready in minutes because it has slow cooked all day!
- So much flavor, and an easy base recipe to jump off and take in your own direction if you want.
- This crockpot curry chicken is great with sour cream OR yogurt so you can use what you love or have on hand.
- Adjust the seasonings to fit your families taste. Such an easy recipe to make.
Why in the Crockpot?
We’ve been eating a ton of chicken lately. I don’t know why that is such a surprise, because we sort of always have.
This of course translates into chicken everything and we were getting kind of tired of chicken breasts, chicken salad and shredded chicken in everything.
We just wanted something different, and we wanted it to be easy. So insert … the crockpot. Just dump and go. That’s all I wanted.
When all you have to do is come home, whip up some minute rice and spoon your delicious crockpot chicken curry over the top, your whole family will thank you!
What to Serve with Crockpot Curry Chicken
If you want to take your meal to the next level, go ahead and make up one of these delicious side dishes to make it a whole meal!
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey and 5 Spice
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Butter Parmesan Asparagus
- Green Beans with Shallots
If you love curry as much as we do, try out this Buttered Curry Popcorn for your next snack craving!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I use/add Cream of Mushroom Soup
A. So the short answer is yes. We tried a version including Cream of Mushroom soup, but we weren’t impressed. It cut down the curry flavor a lot and just didn’t taste right to us. However, this doesn’t mean you might not like it, so if you want to add some, go right ahead.
Q. Can I make this slow cooker curry chicken with vegetables?
A. Absolutely. You can add just about any vegetable you want. We love to add spinach, since it’s mild and adds a great flavor to the curry. But you can also add other vegetables.
Q. Can I make this slow cooker curry chicken with coconut milk?
A. YES! And we love it that way. The way to do that is to swap the coconut milk with the chicken broth. Same measurements.
How to Make Your Own Curry Powder
- 2 tablespoon coriander
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Whisk all the spices together and you will wind up with enough for about 2 curry style recipes.
Use half immediately and store the remaining amount in an air-tight container in a cool, dry place for up to 90 days.
Also, the reason we make up more is that if you want to add more for flavor in the crockpot chicken curry, you can do that.
So feel free to season and taste as you’re going to see if you like the level of flavor.
Recipe for Crock Pot Chicken Curry
Printable Recipe below, or simply pin the recipe to save it for later.
Crockpot Curry Chicken
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons curry powder see post to make your own
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream plain greek yogurt can be substituted
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Blend the first 5 ingredients into the bottom of the crockpot, mixing well.
- Place the chicken breasts into the crockpot on top of the curry mixture. Flip the chicken to coat both sides and then just rest in the sauce. Put the lid on.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on high, 8-10 hours on low.
- Serve over cooked rice or pasta.